Tips & Tricks
Tips for irrigation success
- Irrigate regularly: rectal irrigation should be performed regularly (usually daily or every other day) to achieve full continence and prevent constipation.
- Have patience: it will take time – 4 to 8 weeks or even longer – to develop the best irrigation routine for you.
- Irrigate daily: always start irrigation on a daily basis. Once the process is working, you can try to reduce frequency if you’re comfortable with this and if it continues to produce the desired result.
- Develop a good routine: try to develop a routine where you irrigate at a time of day that works for you.
- Drink plenty of water: always make sure to drink the correct amount of water. If your water balance is too low, irrigation water can be retained and absorbed by the bowel.